Tuesday, August 20, 2013

July 21 | In the air, en route to Vancouver!


7:36 PM (Shanghai time) - My very last “currently sitting on a plane” blog post. So incredibly sad. Leaving Shanghai was probably the hardest city to say goodbye to as it definitely stole my heart. Leaving Shanghai also marked the unofficial end of our trip and thinking about that alone gets me every time.

4:52 PM (Vancouver time) - Never mind, I lied. One more “on a plane” post. We just took off from Vancouver airport about half an hour ago, en route to Toronto. Did you see what just happened there? Casually went back in time as Vancity is 9 hours behind Shanghai – it’s a pretty cool feeling to get 9 hours of your life back. Though I have to account for the three-hour time difference between Vancouver and Toronto… my mind is hurting just figuring out what day it is. I feel far from normal right now and there are a zillion factors that can explain why – first, we’ve obviously gotten used to China time. Trying super hard not to fall asleep on the plane right now just so I can go to bed tonight – quite the challenge as it’s technically 5 AM. Being in three time zones in just 12 hours can really make things fuzzy haha. Also, it’s hard for me to grasp that this morning, I woke up in Shanghai and will go to bed in Mississauga. It’s scarily incredible how accessible the world is.

I’m trying to make up my mind on whether or not I preferred a direct, 15-hour flight versus splitting it 10 and 5. I’ve been trying to avoid writing my Shanghai blog post because it’s so sad to relive it but I know I’ll kick myself if I didn’t have it done by the time I got home so here it goes!

Shanghai was definitely one of my favourite destinations and if I were to rank which city I’d be more likely to re-visit, Shanghai would top this list. In short, it was the perfect balance between city center and traditional China. In short, one of my favourite aspects of Shanghai was how easy it was to switch between two extremes. For example, crossing the ____ River to get to downtown Shanghai was like looking into the future. The architecture was cooler than anything I’ve ever seen in Toronto. The skyline boasts some of the tallest buildings in the world, encompassed by the most extravagant array of international designer stores. Then you take a quick 15-minute subway ride and you end up in old Shanghai – temples and dirt roads. Truly unbelievable.

We came full circle with this last destination. Not only were there crazy similarities to Hong Kong, we also decided to stay in a hostel (Blue Mountain) instead. Best decision ever – not only was dirt cheap, it was a 5 minute walk from a key area called The Bund and we were able to meet some really awesome people along the way. Hayley, Justin and I shared a room and to think that (aside from Wuhu), this was probably the nicest and cleanest accommodation we had on this trip. The rooms were modern with this gorgeous curved wall window with a view of the city. One of our favourite things about the hostel was its homey look and feel. There was an awesome on-site bar and lounge with couches, books, TVs and computers, as well as this huge outdoor patio/rooftop with a pool table and a killer view. I thought I enjoyed our HK hostel but this was ten folds better (and cheaper?!?).

After we checked in, we left to explore the area. The Bund is a central location in Shanghai and looks like a mini, Asian Time Square. Lights, billboards and music – absolutely gorgeous. At various points on the strip, it’s taken over by pedestrians so cars don’t really drive through it, which is nice. This area is home to a wide range of shops, restaurants and businesses – from high end Cartier to local street meat vendors, you name it, it has it. Ice cream seemed to be a theme of the trip, so we took an ice cream break at some side street vendor and did some people watching. A lot of the buildings have a European look at feel to them, so sometimes it doesn’t even feel like you’re in Asia. We walked to the river and pretty sure all of us suffered a major case of déjà vu. It was like HK all over again – being hit with the most stunning river skyline on a busy boardwalk. Something about these skylines, I will never get bored of. As we ventured along the river, we came across a hidden gem – an entertainment area called Bar City (?), which was a collection of boutique shops and international restaurants. To celebrate the end of the conferenced, patio pints of Tsingtao was in order so we chose a Thai bistro to sit and soak up the view. Let’s be real, when I say we wanted to celebrate, we wanted to celebrate. So the game plan was to grab dinner and experience Shanghai nightlife.

One of Justin’s friends did an exchange in Shanghai and recommended to us a very popular dumpling house called Yang’s Dumplings. Apparently on busy days, they sell out before the evening! Took us a lifetime to find but it was worth the wait. Drooling as I type – some of the best deep fried dumplings I have ever had. The cooks make them in a glass room, so you can watch as they make your meal! A bunch of the guys went back for seconds the next day for more of its goodness.

Annnnd it’s finally time to drink. One of the things I will miss the most about China is how cheap alcohol is. It’s stupid cheap. You can pick up a six pack at any random street corner store or supermarket for less than 2 bucks… how do you ever go back to paying Canadian alcohol prices?!?! After picking up some drinks, we headed to the rooftop patio for our typical life chats but at that time, who knew how the night would end up.

There were two Chinese girls who sat close to us but we automatically assumed that they didn’t know a word of English until they turned around and asked to join us. These girls came off as crazy but we loved every minute of it LOL. Turned out that (well… to this day, we still aren’t too sure what they reaallllly do) their friends are club promoters slash own clubs slash they work there themselves (who knows). Realistically, none of these details matter when they invite to take you out to a Shanghai club with free bottle service ;). Accepting a stranger’s offer to take you out drinking in a foreign city probably isn’t the smartest thing to do but… when in Rome. Hailing down a cab was like asking to get hit by a car. 

No comments:

Post a Comment