Tuesday, August 13, 2013

July 2 | SCCSC, Shenzhen

5:45 am - I don’t think I’ll ever get used to this jet lag but I actually don’t mind one bit. It’s 5:45 am and I’m sitting out on our dorm floor’s balcony, soaking up every sight, touch and smell around me. I am covered in bug bites, my hands are swollen from the heat, my hair and face feel dirty from the humidity and I have never felt more blessed than I do right now. Being here really changes your perception on things and alters the way you think. I actually laughed to myself and feel completely ashamed as to why only a couple days ago, I was stressing over the most ridiculous, insignificant things. Absolutely NOTHING, nothing, nothing matters than the here and now. Maybe it will never fully hit me how mind blowing this opportunity is but in this very moment, you really begin to understand how small you are in the grand scheme – never have I wanted to see, do and experience more of the unknown.  It’s only been 4 days and I am so hungry for more.

Although we arrived at CCSC (Concord College of Sino Canada) two days ago, yesterday was the first day of our very first conference. I must have some really messed up case of jet lag – I barely sleep and am completely fine with it. This campus is amazing and the school’s hospitality is beyond anything than I’ve ever experienced from an outsider in a foreign country. CCSC is essentially a high school boarding school so students and teachers live in dorms right on campus… not complaining at all. Waterfalls, palm trees and cozy patio hang out spots? Sorry Laurier, CCSC wins this one ;). Upon arrival, we each received our own bedroom, fully stocked with toiletries and a fridge full of iced cold water. Despite our age, we are considered ‘teachers’ and was even given our own office! 

35* students from all over China arrived yesterday morning and each of us have our own group of students. Yesterday was a long day but would never have asked for anything different! The day consisted of a couple hours of icebreakers, quick intro lecture to general business, intro to the student’s Pepsi/Coke case and a LIBC-esque dance off (videos to come ;)). Not going to lie, I underestimated how difficult the language barrier would be and this has probably been the greatest challenge thus far. It’s interesting to come across roadblocks in explaining to the students basic theory or concepts that you are so accustomed to at home… I wish I videotaped myself trying to explain the word CREATIVITY to the students, realizing that ‘out of the box’ is out of the question. Nonetheless, the prospect of teaching for the next 3 weeks is exciting and any challenges will make the whole experience that much more rewarding.


Most of our days will end pretty late and the conference finished at 8:30ish last night. Obviously, the first thing was to pick up some alcohol and foreign snacks… let’s not forget who is in my group LOL. EVERYTHING. HERE. IS. SO. CHEAP. Pretty sure I picked up 10 different snacks and a 6-pack for $11 CAD. It’s only been a couple days yet I can already feel myself missing this plethora of food and beverage options… #foodieproblems. Since it was Canada Day yesterday.. or.. today… (too much to energy to figure out this time thing right now) we wanted to do a late night porch hangout. (Okay, who are we kidding, we will do this every night). Such a good night and met some awesome people! We ran into another Canadian group from the East Coast who were also having a nighttime rendevouz. Amazing friends, couple beers and an acoustic guitar – life is kind of good right now. Time to get ready for day 2.  Lots of love to all my friends and family back home! X

No comments:

Post a Comment